Третья мировая война 1946 - Красная волна - Сталин атак впервые - Альтернативная история

Третья мировая война 1946 - Красная волна - Сталин атак впервые - Альтернативная история
В прямом эфире на Smashwords - 75% Off until Sept. 9

Friday, September 17, 2010

Brandt and Churchill Pay a Visit

Pentagon
Washington, DC
Office of Robert P. Patterson
Secretary of War
July 28th, 1946
08:01 hours

The honorable Sir Winston Churchill to see you sir along with a Mr. Brandt.

Did you say Churchill Jim? I didn't even know he was in the States much less Washington. For gods sake send them in.

Good afternoon Mr. Secretary.

Good afternoon Sir Churchill and... Mr. Brandt is it? What may I do for you.

If I may I'll get right to the point Mr. Secretary.

Please do. I will say it's rather unusual for a Brit to hurry into a conversation.

Sorry to be so abrupt old boy but Mr. Brandt has some vital information that may be of service to your fighting forces.

It's quite alright I prefer it if you Brits did move it along when it comes to .... how should I say it...coming to the point.

Very well then. Mr Brandt will take over from here.

Mr. Secretary it has become quite obvious that your new tank, the Pershing M26, is not up to the task. We have received numerous reports of breakdowns, mechanical failures, of it being underpowered, the transmission has a faulty design. It's gun and armor are adequate for the task but you can't get the bloody thing to the firing line. Because of it's mechanical failures it is virtually immobile. It was a failed attempt and I would argue that you must realize this now before it becomes critical later in the war when our mobility will be our greatest weapon.

I am well aware of the growing pains of the Pershing Mr. Brandt but I fail to see what we can do about it in the short run.

May I interrupt for a second Mr. Secretary. I should have introduced Mr. Brandt earlier. He and his colleagues are responsible for the APCBC round for the 17lbr. I'm sure you have seen the reports and the combination of the Centurion Mark II and the APCBC round has been highly successful in stopping even the heaviest Soviet tanks. He knows what he is speaking of and I apologise for his rudeness but engineers are not know for their diplomacy.

I do apologise for my out burst Mr. Secretary but I see a real crisis looming if you continue to field the M26. It is just not up to the task. It is highly susceptible to breaking down at the most inopportune moments. I understand that you just lost over a hundred due to their inability to extradite themselves from a Soviet trap. Is this not so?

Well yes it is Mr. Brandt and we are working on a solution but I fail to see how this meeting will assist us with our problem unless you have a suggestion?

If I may Mr. Secretary I would like to suggest that you cease the manufacture of the Pershing immediately and concentrate on a proven design. One that has shown it's effectiveness against the Soviet armor. I would suggest that you use the all ready mobilized M26 on the defensive line that is forming and not use them for the upcoming mobile warfare operations that the future will require. If the Pershing is fairly stationary it can hold it's own but you must realise by now that it is not up to the task of a mobile operation. The Centurion is a well rounded design that will with stand the rigors of a mobile warfare and unlike the Stuart can destroy a Soviet S2. The Pershing can not and will not be able to fulfill the role needed in future operations.

So what you suggesting Mr. Brandt is that the US Army should abandon it's own shitty tank design in favor of the British Centurion and your APCBC ordinance? Is that the gist of your visit here today Mr. Brandt?!?!?!?!?


Why yes Mr. Secretary I would concur with your most eloquent summary

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, but will enough will be build to make a different in the next few months. I also would like to know what happend to the french "Panthers". The french army had several battalions of ex-german panther tanks in use. Another short-cut could be an american "Hetzer" or "Jagdpanther" Take an M36 Jachson Tank destroyer with its 90mm gun. Get rid of the the turret an add an amored structure to house the gun. No more trouble with the open turret.

    Willem Jan Goossen
    The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete